Strategy of MEII
MEII’s objective is to increase access to finance for small and medium sized businesses (SMEs) in Tunisia, and decreasing barriers to financial inclusion for over 90% of small businesses in Tunisia.
SME’s in Tunisia
SMEs play a vital role in Tunisia because at least 97.8% of Tunisian firms (across all sectors) fall into this category as of 2011. In 2010 it was reported that SME’s employ more than 50% of the workforce in the private sector. The main consequence of the prevalence of SMEs in Tunisia’s economic landscape is that all economic development strategies are de facto based on the performance of this category of companies.
SMEs ability to obtain financing for their business operations and investments is therefore crucial to Tunisia s future economic development.
However, access to credit in Tunisia remains limited, particularly for the low-income workers and for consumers. Banks generally neglect micro, small, and medium enterprises, which mainly are part of the informal economy.
MEII is currently making a difference in Tunisia through the programs it runs and manages there, especially regarding facilitating access to credit for SME’s. More insights of MEII’s work and accomplishments in Tunisia can be found on the website mainly under Expertise and Impacts.
Areas of Focus
- Mobile banking
- Direct Finance
- Technical Assistance
- The World Bank (http://www.worldbank.org/en/country/tunisia)
- World Bank(https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/12951)
- The World Bank (http://data.worldbank.org/country/tunisia)
- Making Finance for Africa (https://www.mfw4a.org/tunisia/financial-sector-profile.html#c11393)
- African Economic Outlook (http://www.africaneconomicoutlook.org/en/country-notes/north-africa/tunisia/)
- Global Finance (https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/country-data/tunisia-gdp-country-report)
- African Development Bank Group (http://www.afdb.org/en/countries/north-africa/tunisia/tunisia-economic-outlook/)
- IFC, International finance corporation (http://www.ifc.org/wps/wcm/connect/region__ext_content/regions/europe+middle+east+and+north+africa/ifc+middle+east+north+africa+and+southern+europe/countries/tunisia+country+landing+page)
- Arab Credit Reporting Guide by Arab Monetary fund and World Bank Group
- Tunisia’s Banking Sector Faces Major Risks, Oct 8,2012
- Tunisia: Financial Sector Profile- Retrieved from Making Finance for Africa website
- Tunisia: Tunisie Leasing looking to expand in Africa- Retrieved from Making Finance for Africa website
- A financial Sector in Disarry by the world bank
- Financial statistics Report ,July 2014 - Banque Centrale de Tunisie
- Tunisia Economy not yet in the clear, Oct 17. 2014
- Banking I the Mediterranean- Financing Needs and Opportunities in Turbulent Times –European Investmet Bank